Saturday, October 3, 2009

reflections on questions posed by Evans on pg. 146

1. How do I define my role as a leader?

Evans gives examples of two types of leaders on pg 146 - the mover & the maintainer. I'm not sure that leadership can always fit into one of these boxes. I believe that each and every person has their own unique style of leadership. Yes, there may be similarities between leaders, but ultimately, everyone is different.

I can see qualities of the mover & qualities of the maintainer in my leadership style. The "mover", as defined in the text is someone "who redesigns and reshapes". I am definitely not afraid to make changes within my environment. In fact, I believe that change is necessary to keep things fresh and to keep people interested. However, if I don't feel that I am the expert on a subject, or area, I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting that changes be made. If I felt like I knew just as much about the situation, or more, than anybody else involved, I would not hesitate; but, until I get to that point, I will generally just observe and reflect.

I am probably more of a "maintainer" than a mover. Evans defined the maintainer as "someone who prefers to keep things running smoothly". I do see the importance of keeping up with day-to-day operations within an organization - and these day-to-day things are what keep things running smoothly. I believe that if a leader runs around changing things on a frequent basis, not only will he/she get burnt out, but his/her subordinates will get frustrated - causing inefficiency within the organization. So, yes...maintaining a steady environment, maintaining a steady leadership style, and maintaining a steady organization are all important in my opinion.


2. What inspires the best in staff?

Just a few ideas...

1. Having an avenue for expression of thought - and feeling confident that someone is listening to their opinions

2. Having leadership within the organization that acknowledge the importance of subordinates and the role that they play within the structure of the organization

3. Feeling safe & secure in their positions (i.e. not having to worry about being laid off)

4. Having leaders that are capable of showing empathy

5. Having leaders that trust in their abilities to do their job, and aren't looking over their shoulder all the time


3. What are my strengths?

My initial reaction to this question was..."I'm not really a leader, so I don't know my strengths". Then, after thinking about it for a minute, I suppose I am a leader. In my current position, I lead students. However, if we are talking about leadership within the organization (i.e. Clemson University), I would have to say that I am pretty close to the bottom of the totem poll.

So...what are my strengths in leading students? The first thing that comes to mind is not a leadership trait by any means, but I feel that the students realize that I can relate to what they are going through because I am very close in age with them. So, empathy and understanding. (WOW...this introspection stuff is hard!!!). Next, I think that when students come into my office they can see that I am generally interested in helping them. In fact, I have made a pact with myself to never let a student leave my office without some kind of relief that the problem they walked in the door with will be addressed. Even if I don't know how to help them, or fix their problem, I can find out who can help them. And, lastly, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. I don't think that leaders are people who work from 9-5, or 8-4:30. You have to "live the job", and be willing to put yourself out there to help others.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    Having an avenue for expression of thought - and feeling confident that someone is listening to their opinions.

    This is a very valuable comment you made. I think this is one of the main keys to leadership. Those you lead need to feel that they have the ability to voice their concerns and opinions and that they are truly heard and their concerns and opinions are considered.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete